Family Laws give the guideline how to divide the family property.
- Family Laws encompass the broad set of rules that are in practice regarding family matters such as marriage, divorce, inheritance etc.,
- There are some legally enforceable rights and duties that arise when one gives legal validation to the status of interpersonal relationships.
- Family law acts as agents of social change and may succeed in improving the status of individuals in society.
- There are five Family Laws in India – Hindu law, which governs all Hindus as also Buddhists, Jains and Sikhs; Muslim law for the Muslims; Christian law for the Christians; Parsi law for the Parsis and a secular law i.e. the Special Marriage Act.
- Family law is a legal practice area that focuses on issues involving family relationships such as marriage, adoption, divorce and child custody, among others.
- Family Laws are defined in the constitution but States have the right to re-define laws to some extent.